It is natural to have many questions about caring for your newborn and breastfeeding. At Mount Alvernia Hospital, experienced Parentcraft centre staff visit postnatal mothers in the wards daily to offer advice and guidance on general newborn care, bathing baby and breastfeeding.
If you have any queries after your discharge from the hospital, please call us at 6347 6641 or drop by with appointment at the Alvernia Parentcraft Centre located on Level 2.
The Alvernia Parentcraft Centre is a one-stop parentcraft and lactation centre for parents with newborns. Designed with comfort in mind, it features a cosy waiting area and beverage corner along with a mini library of breastfeeding resources, reading materials and magazines for leisure browsing.
We provide personalised individual consultation at the Centre, and are able to arrange home visits upon request.
- Antenatal consultation
- Childbirth education
- Personalized breastfeeding consultation
- Personalized consultation on newborn care / bathing baby
- Personalized home care service for mothers and babies
- Bottle feeding and weaning
- Baby massage class
- Confinement nanny training
- Alvernia Breastfeeding Mothers’ Support Group
Tel: (+65) 6347 6641
Mon – Fri: 8.30am – 5pm
Sat: 8.30am – 1pm
Sun & PH: Closed
This course has been specially preparedby a team of parentcraft specialists, physiotherapists and dietitians to help new parents mentally and physically prepare for childbirth and the arrival of their baby. Expectant mothers can begin the first session from the 20th week of pregnancy and partners are strongly encouraged to attend. The format includes lectures, video shows, demonstrations and practical sessions. You will also learn tips on post-delivery care for both mother and baby.
Length & Duration of programme
There are six weekly sessions.
Weekday: 6.30pm to 8.30pm
Saturday: 1.30pm to 3.30pm or 4pm to 6pm
- Changes during pregnancy
- Nutritional needs during pregnancy and after delivery
2nd & 3rd Sessions
- Backcare and exercises during pregnancy
- Stages of labour
- Breathing relaxation techniques to cope with labour
- Relaxation and massage
- Role of support person
4th, 5th & 6th Sessions
- Signs of labour
- Pain relief in labour
- Methods of delivery
- Care of mother after delivery
- Familiarization tour of hospital
- Infant feeding
- Importance of breastfeeding & bonding
- How to get off to a good start in breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding positions and latching on techniques
- How to manage minor problems in breastfeeding
- Working and breastfeeding
- Bathing and care of your newborn
Course Fee (inclusive GST, light refreshments will be served)
For mothers delivering at Mount Alvernia Hospital, 10% off for Alvernia Ladies Card Holders
Participants not booked for delivery at Mount Alvernia Hospital
- This programme is not deductible through Medisave
- Payment is not refundable
- Strictly no change of class for all sessions
For enquiries, please call tel: 6347 6641 between 9am and 5pm (Mon to Fri); 9am and 1pm (Sat); or email: email@example.com.